Sisters of St. Francis of the Neumann Communities
We are sisters to all.
Rooted in the Gospel, we serve with reverence, justice and compassion.
The Sisters of St. Francis of the Neumann Communities were officially founded in 2004 when three New York State-based congregations united. In 2007, a Pittsburgh community merged with the Syracuse-based congregation.
The Sisters of St. Francis of the Neumann Communities was formed in 2004 when three New York-based congregations of Franciscan sisters joined together.
In August 2007, the Sisters of St. Francis in Millvale, Pennsylvania merged with the Syracuse-based congregation.
These four congregations originated from the same Philadelphia, Pennsylvania community founded in 1855 by Sisters Mary Francis Bachmann, Mary Margaret Boll, and Bernardina Dorn. Because St. John Neumann (then Bishop of Philadelphia) guided these founders, leaders of the newly created community opted to include Neumann in the new congregation’s name.